Friday, November 29, 2013

I Guess I am Part of the Problem

  Yesterday morning, thanks to a loud and annoying cat who will soon be up for adoption should anyone want him, I was up at 5:30.  By 7:00 AM I realized I was missing the avocados for my appetizer I told my sister in law I would bring.  Not that the day would crumble around us without my fabulous dip but after two cups of tea and being awake that long it became like that itch you cannot scratch.  So I threw on my coat , grabbed my shopping bags and told the two of three children awake I would be back soon and left with the warning to not wake up their father. 
   Once at the grocery store it was so quiet and peaceful, there were about three of us there at that hour.  I decided to not just get my one item and hoof it home, why not shop for the coming week?  I was alone, I had a list in my pocketbook I had intended for another day over the weekend and even had some coupons!  It was like hitting the lottery.  So I ambled through the store, enjoyed taking the time to look at items, figure out it the coupon was beneficial or not.  Going slowly enough that I was not doubling back in the store several times because there was no one to distract my attention from he task at hand, not even someone else's kid!
   It wasn't until I got the register and saw the very unhappy faces of the both the young woman at the register and the young man bagging my stuff that I realized I was what I claimed not to be.  I was a Thanksgiving day shopper.  I tried to smile and pretend I had no idea it was Thanksgiving.  I tried to pretend it wasn't 7:30 in the morning.  I tried to pretend I was the anti- Thanksgiving day shopper I have claimed to be.  I shrunk down into myself and pulled the collar of my coat higher, wishing for a pair of sunglasses, trying to hide like a celebrity.  I wished them both a happy Thanksgiving because I thought it was the least I could do and it was met with grumbles.  I can't say that I blame them.
   When I got home I confessed to my husband and stated," For the record , even if I am missing something next year I am not shopping on Thanksgiving Day!"  His answer," How many holidays have you worked over the years?"
   He is right.  I won't count the number of Thanksgiving dinners I missed or left early.  The New Years' Eves I missed or Christmas Eves and Days I was working but although I never enjoyed leaving my family on those days, at least when I got to work I understood that the people I was serving had to be in the hospital, it wasn't their choice to be away from their families.  They weren't out shopping for the best deal, shoving and pushing their way to the latest electronic gadget they just had to have.  They were there because the most important part of their life; their health was ailing and they needed me and my colleagues to help them get better.
   Holidays in hospitals and nursing homes have a festive atmosphere, as festive as it can get I suppose.  Families of the loved ones they are visiting almost always bring treats for the staff.  The staff bring treats for the staff.  One place I worked we had a whole dinner set up, each of us bringing in something to share.  It was always hard to leave my family but it always felt good when a patient was happy to see me.  I had many apologize to me because I had to work. I never grumbled because I never felt that angry about it.
   There is a difference.  I heard someone say it was good for our economy to have stores open on Thanksgiving, that all those people working would get over time and they probably needed it or they would turn around and spend it therefore helping our economy more.  I think it is sad that our lives have dwindled down to the greater good of the economy and not the greater good of our society.  Perhaps that woman at Wal-Mart cashing you out already works 60 hours a week and now instead of that one day she can sit with her family she is working yet again.  Over time in your bank account isn't nearly as long lasting as over time with your family.
   So next year I will not even head out to the grocery store on Thanksgiving morning.  I will not be part of a growing trend on our society that feels buying gifts and spending money is the only way to be happy or make others happy.  I will stay home and even if we're missing the turkey we'll make the best of it and be thankful for the blessing of what we have and not rush out to get what we don't have.  In the end the people who love us is the greatest gift all year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment