Monday, August 30, 2010

One Good Man

The summer between seventh and eighth grade I spent a few days with my girlfriend at her grandparents house in Maine. It was on a lake and I remember barely being able to swim because the water was so cold. But it was fun. We played Trivial Pursuit and ate beef stew ,which her grandfather made and to this day I think is the best I have ever tasted. That summer I had a crush. Well, I probably had a crush very summer what girl doesn't? But this summer stands out in particular. He had brown hair, a bit wavy, big smile, strong arms and he was just funny. My girlfriend and I talked about him but she had to break the news to me that he liked someone else. I hated those days. It was rough being thwarted when you were only 13. Of course there were many years ahead of thwarting but somehow those first couple when you are so young stay with you.
Anyway, as it turns out when we got to high school he asked me to the Homecoming dance. We went but for some reason that bit of whatever I had two summers ago didn't seem to be there. we were friends and remained so. When college came we stayed in touch. He sent letters to me in crushed beer cans, I sent letters on dainty stationary. He sent letters I had to turn the paper clockwise in order to read . I sent him cards by Amanda Bradley, embarrassing as that is to admit. We saw each other over school breaks and hung out with a whole group but never got around to dating. It just wasn't part of the plan.
After college we both went our separate ways and lost touch. About 6 years later I was at a Christmas party of a mutual friend and saw another mutual friend I hadn't seen in years. I was home for the holidays but at the time was living in South Carolina. Five months later,in early May, I got a phone call from my mother explaining that reg had called and wanted to reach me. She gave me his number because the reality was my mother wanted me home and here was a possible way to do it. She was sneaky like that. How is it that mothers always know best? She insisted I call him back, even after I explained I hadn't talked to him in years and was 900 miles away. She knew I was coming home in July and that I didn't have a plan. I called him back. A few days later he sent me a birthday card. My birthday is in February. I wrote back, on nice stationary.
Twelve years later we are celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary. It hardly seems possible. Of course it hardly seems possible that I am 40, have three kids and am considered by most to be a full blown adult.
Good thing I am married to someone who knows how to have fun,let go and test the boundaries of tact and decorum just enough to keep me guessing. I have watched him change from Teva wearing bachelor to a man who "travels on business". From someone who is not sure how to hold a newborn to someone who handles three kids with more grace and patience than anyone, myself included., possibly could. I have witnessed his tears of joy at the birth of our children and tears of sorrow when my mother passed away. He can make me laugh so hard my sides cramp or he can make me want to throw something at him. We like to consider him versatile.
A couple weeks ago my girlfriend emailed me to tell me at the end of her children's birthday party she found my husband lying in the Bounce House with our daughter , now 17 months old, jumping around him. She said the smile on his face was priceless. I didn't need a description. I could close my eyes and see it as clearly as I did when I was 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment